Website Solar Cookers International
Description, Compensation and Benefits:MISSION
Solar Cookers International (SCI) improves human and environmental health by supporting the expansion of effective carbon-free solar cooking in world regions of greatest need. SCI leads through advocacy, research, and strengthening the capacity of the global solar cooking movement.
Solar Cookers International is seeking a bookkeeper. This position receives direct supervision from the Executive Director and coordinates with other staff (such as SCI’s Administrative/Program Associate) as needed and contractors (such as auditors).
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES – the duties described below are provided as examples and are not to be considered as exclusive or all-inclusive:
- Import gifts received from Salsa CRM to QuickBooks software.
- Record invoices received and prepared checks.
- Prepare payroll.
- Send paystubs and timesheets to ED for approval.
- Pay via direct deposit through QuickBooks.
- Email pay stubs.
- Schedule payroll tax payments to IRS and states.
- Notify Vanguard of 403(b) contributions.
- Update employee records with correct vacation and sick leave accrual, wage changes or bonuses.
- Post interest earned and unrealized gain to investment accounts.
- Reconcile bank, investment, and PayPal accounts.
- Prepare financial reports (profit and loss by class, budget vs. actuals, statement of financial position, statement of financial income and expense) and e-mail to ED.
- Prepare quarterly payroll reports and sales tax calculations.
- Payroll reports for the Department of the Treasury, the states of California, New York, and Washington.
- Quarterly sales tax reports for the states of California and Washington.
- Prepare annual 1099s and W2s – January.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts, prepare for an audit. This includes preparing audit schedules, reviewing narrative documentation, and providing documents requested by auditors – July/August.
- Most responsibilities have been adjusted so they may be done remotely. Occasional SCI office visits are required to file paperwork. During the audit, documents filed at the SCI office need to be collected and given to auditors.
- Hours vary. A typical month requires about 12 total hours. Months that include quarterly tax filings require about 15 hours. January may require 20 hours. The months of July/August/September may average 36 hours.
- This position could be filled by a part-time employee, or contractor, based on the applicant’s situation (for example, if they have other clients and their own practice).
SCI’s current bookkeeper is planning to retire after this year’s audit (August 2021). The ideal situation would involve cross-training/shadowing for SCI’s new bookkeeper with SCI’s current bookkeeper in regular responsibilities and through the audit.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:Essential Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Class allocations (program/admin/fundraising).
- Recording and tracking gifts with donor restrictions.
- GAAP – Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Clerical and office methods, procedures, techniques, and best practices including customer service, manual and automated filing systems, information storage and retrieval systems, business correspondence, report writing, and correct English usage; standard operating policies, procedures, and administrative structure.
- Constituent record management databases for donor management.
- Principles and procedures of record-keeping and file management.
- Written and oral communication techniques and methodologies.
- Prioritize, plan, schedule, and coordinate work processes necessary to carry out responsibilities.
- Utilize personal computers and computer software to perform word processing, spreadsheet, and database processes.
- Maintain confidential data and information.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Report on work progress and outcomes to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Respond to requests and inquiries in a timely manner.
- Work to a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Perform routine mathematical calculations.
- Compile, prepare, and maintain accurate records, files, and reports.
- Meet deadlines and follow through on responsibilities.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships.
- Coordinate with staff members in remote locations; understand and work with culturally diverse people.
- Provide excellent customer service.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
- Successful completion of a background check
- An AA in accounting or equivalent
- Preferred: An Associate degree, with coursework in accounting or the equivalent
- 3 years of experience in accounting, preferably with a non-profit
- Desirable: Bookkeeper certification
Application Instructions:In one email, submit a resume or CV, cover letter with salary requirements and stating whether you are applying to be considered as a contractor or part-time employee, to Caitlyn Hughes, Executive Director at [email protected]. Candidates are responsible for ensuring receipt of application materials. The most qualified candidates will be invited to an oral interview. Applicants must be eligible for employment in the US.
See www.solarcookers.org for more information.