Website Center for Land-Based Learning
Description, Compensation and Benefits:In 2011, the Center for Land-Based Learning established the California Farm Academy, and the seven month Beginning farmer Training program was its first offering. This was followed by the Incubator and Apprenticeship Programs. Now in its 10th year, the Training Program is central to the Farm Academy’s programming to support new farmers in the region. In 2021, the Farm Academy will add a two month ‘Explorer’ course to act as a precursor to the Training program, which is on hiatus this year and will resume in 2022. The Program Manager will be responsible for the seven-month training and explorer programs. The Training Program was developed to address the need for a new generation of farmers in California. At the same time, the goal was to develop a high-quality training program for aspiring farmers to have a pathway into farming.
The Center for Land-Based Learning is hiring a Beginning Farmer Training Program Manager, based in our main office at 40140 Best Ranch Road, Woodland, CA. This position will report to the Director and will be responsible for:
- Management of day-to-day operations of the Training and Explorer programs
- Monitoring budgets and tracking expenditures, and write grant reports
- Assisting Director with grant writing to secure funding for the programs
- Overseeing and directing outreach & recruitment efforts for the programs
- Developing and managing relationships with local farmers and agricultural service providers who will assist with the programs, and act as mentors for program participants
- Overseeing and directing programs including the development of the application process, holding interviews, and ultimately selecting the applicants
- Managing the evaluation process for the Training and Explorer Programs. Analyzing results and adjusting the program accordingly
- Providing vision and direction for expansion of the programs
- Developing relationships with various sectors of the agricultural industry who will support and provide input for the programs
- Assisting in reaching out to alumni individually to maintain contact and build community
- Providing support to the California Farm Academy programs (Apprenticeship Program + Incubator Program) as needed
- Assisting with Land-Based Learning events (fundraisers, donor appreciation events, open houses, etc.) and any other duties as assigned
This is a full-time exempt position, with a starting salary of $57,500 per annum. Full benefits (health, dental, vision, flex plan, and 401K) are included after 60 days of employment. Sick leave accrual begins on date of hire, and vacation accrual starts after 90 days of employment.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:Mandatory requirements:
The Training Program Manager should be a leader with a strong commitment to education, agriculture, ecology, and land stewardship. The Manager must be self‐motivated, and capable of working effectively both alone and with a larger team.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in Education, Agriculture, Ecology, Community Development, or other closely related fields
- Experience with farming; either as a beginning farmer, apprentice/intern, or other related agricultural farm jobs
- Experience in adult education, particularly involving agriculture and mentoring new businesses
- Experience collaborating with diverse partners and stakeholders, with ability to create and implement programs
- Excellent communication, social, and writing skills
- A background in either formal or informal educational programs, including developing and implementing training and/or small business incubator programs
- A background in sustainable agriculture and/or beginning farmer training programs
- The ability and willingness to be flexible
- Moderate to advanced computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office, web browsers, social media, and email
- Some evening and weekend work required
Application Instructions:Send cover letter and resume to Sri Sethuratnam – [email protected] on or before March 18th, 2021.
This position is open until filled.
The Center for Land-Based Learning provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.