Website Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Sacramento Area
Description, Compensation and Benefits:Purpose: Leads the BBBS agency to ensure that the mission, strategy, values and goals of the organization are achieved.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Sacramento Area is seeking an Executive Director. The position calls for a talented professional that will:
- Develop and drive the business plan of the organization
- Cultivate a strong Board of Directors
- Attract, retain and support staff talent
- Maximize the financial strength of the organization, including successful relationships with donors, foundations and corporate supporters
- Ensure that our programs are impactful and our marketing attracts highly qualified volunteer mentors
- Represent BBBS in the broader community through effective presentation skills and strategic alliances.
Business Planning and Execution - Develop and drive the business plan of the organization within the context of the nationwide strategic direction; drives a collaborative process with the Board and staff. Uses performance metrics and quality indicators to guide operational decision-making.
Board Development - Cultivates a strong Board of Directors willing to lead and contribute to the fund development success of the organization. Works to assure independent governance oversight and performance accountability of the board and the CEO.
Talent Management - Attracts, retains, develops and leverages staff talent. Creates an environment where staff is engaged and performing at high levels. Institutes and utilize an effective performance management system for all employees that include annual objective setting and evaluation.
Financial Management - Develops plans that maximize the financial strength of the agency without adversely affecting other criteria of success (e.g., customer satisfaction, quality of service).Communicates the key performance levers and manages to these measures.
Fund Development - Pro-actively ensures that the organization develops strong long-term relationships with large scale individual, foundation and corporate donors. Builds and maintains key relationships to ensure fund development strategy is achieved.
Program Impact - Ensures that comprehensive marketing strategies are developed to attract, engage and mobilize significant numbers of volunteer mentors. Ensures programmatic excellence and maximum program impact is achieved by establishing operational benchmarks, setting timelines and making child safety a priority.
Ambassador and Spokesperson - Represents the agency at external partnership events and with the media. Positively influences partners, media and public policies to generate volunteers, donors and other resources.
Leadership Competencies: Strategic and Visionary Leadership
- Thinks big picture, separating the critical from the routine. Develops vision and strategies that position the organization for growth. Provides focus for organization.
- Gains commitment from others to achieve the vision. · Allocates and aligns resources to achieve strategy; forecasts and prepares for contingencies.
- Invests in internal and external relationships that are sustainable over time and builds strong teams.
- Actively networks with potential strategic partners and individuals and coaches his/her team to form partnerships and collaborations.
- Models and requires collaboration with others, taking time to build trust and explore mutual interests.
- Builds a culture of commitment versus compliance.
- Coaches managers around how to navigate difficult relationships and form effective relationships with others.
Translates and operationalizes vision in a way that is grounded in the agency shared values.
- Acts in an ethical manner reflecting core values of integrity, transparency, accountability, respect and responsibility.
- Models openness, honesty and accountability to colleagues, volunteers, donors and all others involved with BBBS.
- Provides a work environment that values diversity and inclusion among volunteers and employees regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status or disability.
- Employs a broad perspective to balance priorities in a way that accomplishes the overall goals of the agency.
- Demonstrates understanding of the financial and other drivers that influence agency success; uses this business acumen to influence others, create shared goals and drive initiatives.
- Reconciles tension between growth and stability; allocates resources in order to build and leverage multiple capabilities to capture funding opportunities.
- Thoughtfully reaches decisions and evaluates the impact of decisions on agency systems, processes and people.
- Sets and executes high-performance targets through focus and drive toward a measurable standard of excellence.
- Establishes systems and processes that hold managers/employees accountable for their actions and results. Motivates Board and staff to create a high-performance culture.
- Shows resilience when targets are not met and develops action plans to address shortfalls.
- Incorporates performance feedback from others and adjusts.
- Focuses on migrating authority and decision making to the lowest possible levels to lead an efficient, action-oriented and learning culture. Accepts the associated risks and mistakes in the spirit of continuous learning.
- Champions change initiatives undertaken by the agency by leading and energizing others around such strategies.
- Aligns all aspects of the organization (structure, process, culture, rewards, employees, volunteers) to achieve change goals.
- Introduces change at a pace that is grounded in the need to achieve strategic objectives.
- Identifies significant obstacles or resistance to change and works to resolve issues by pulling (influencing), rather than pushing others to change.
- Solicits input from employees about changes and addresses them.
- Makes extra efforts to meet customer needs, surface underlying customer concerns and interests and builds customer loyalty.
- Creates and maintains an organizational culture that defines “customers” broadly including employees, donors and volunteers. Treats all customers with respect and integrity.
- Utilizes the feedback from customer satisfaction surveys to inform planning and drive improvements.
- Aligns systems and processes to ensure responsiveness and to anticipate customer needs.
The annual salary is $85,000-$95,000 DOE, and total compensation package includes health and retirement benefits.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:Education Level:
(minimum & preferred educational requirements necessary to perform this job successfully)
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Graduate level degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of proven results in building an organization and achieving results.
- Strategic thinking, planning, and project/process/systems management skills.
- Entrepreneurial approach to the use of scarce resources
- Knows how to manage simultaneously for short, mid and long-term results
- Strategic and visionary leader
- Proven interpersonal and team building skills.
- Extensive Board leadership and development
- Fund development
- Excellent verbal, written & interpersonal communications.
- Ability to lead complex, multi-component projects to successful outcomes. Ability to negotiate and influence effectively in high impact situations with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to effectively motivate, develop and manage the work of others in a dynamic, complex and fast-paced work environment.
- Intermediate MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Application Instructions:Interested candidates, please send cover letter, resume and three references to BBBS Search, c/o Kim Tucker, Impact Foundry, via email to: [email protected]. Digital submissions should be within one PDF document that follows this title protocol: LastName_FirstName. Submissions are being accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
About the Organization:Equal Employment Opportunity
BBBS provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential job functions either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBS of the Greater Sacramento Area may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.