First Step Communities
Description, Compensation and Benefits:A Sacramento nonprofit organization with the mission to create interim housing and emergency shelter for people experiencing homelessness is seeking a Shelter Worker.
Working as part of a team, the Shelter Worker will monitor and direct the client in all areas of the campus. They may be assigned to campus monitoring and support, security monitoring or maintenance and can be cross trained on all as opportunity arises. They are responsible for keeping safety watch, day and night, and performing conflict resolution should issues arise.
Job Status: Full-time and part-time, swing shifts and graveyards.
Pay Rate: $15 per hour
Qualifications and Job Requirements:Requirements:
- Monitor and facilitate the transition of guests from the shelter/cabins to dining, counseling, meeting and or classroom areas.
- Direct activities of the clients while at the campus location.
- Keep safety watch day and night and lead conflict resolution should issues requiring intervention arise.
- Assist guests from the time they wake up, through meal times and through the evenings.
- Escalate to Management’s attention any observed or suspected abuse and/or neglect of children, disabled individuals, dependent adults and elder/senior citizens.
- Collect laundry items, help access stored possessions (if any) and process their exit from the facility as required.
- Prepare facility for the next day.
- Performs monitoring of video security systems as assigned, escalates as required.
- Performs facility cleaning and maintenance as assigned.
- Performs campus and client activity monitoring as assigned.
- Regular, predictable attendance is required.
- Ability to get along and work effectively with others.
Education and Experience: High school diploma and one to three months related experience and/or training. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or a related field is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of the homeless population and their unique needs.
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills.
- Ability to exercise extreme patience.
- Must be comfortable working with people and flexible in unpredictable environments.
- Ability to think quickly and respond calmly to stressful/ emergency situations.