Website James B. McClatchy Foundation
Description, Compensation and Benefits:Program Officer, Education - Job Description
The Program Officer (PO) is responsible for guiding the Foundation’s education grantmaking and leadership portfolio, which will reflect JBMF’s focus area on the educational needs and assets of English learners.
The Foundation is seeking a strategic thinker and thoughtful professional who respects community ideals in order to lift voices and opportunities for marginalized communities across the Central Valley. The ideal candidate has a strong record of experience working at a strategic program level at a foundation or at a community-based or similar organization, upholding the utmost of professionalism, honoring proprietary in community, organizational, and interpersonal transactions, decisions, and communications.
Leadership in extensive grantmaking, community convening & collaboration, strategic planning, resourceful problem-solving, and community engagement with diverse audiences is desired. Prior experience in a foundation with an education or youth development portfolio, in an education-serving nonprofit with an emphasis on English learners, or working towards educational systems change within a school/educational institution (like a school district) or community serving a diverse and multicultural student population is highly desired.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic team player and resourceful implementer who can work collaboratively with staff, grantee-partners, key community stakeholders, and volunteers to maximize the Foundation’s impact.
Through its work, JBMF lifts community voices by honoring diversity, equity, and inclusion, improves education access, and ensures all people, especially children, have pathways to a fulfilling life in California’s Central Valley - these institutional qualities are core to the Foundation’s values. This position will represent the Foundation and reflect the diverse backgrounds and talents of the people and communities JBMF serves. A successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for JBMF’s work; a spirit of accountability and collaboration; and, a commitment to co-creating powerful stories of the impact of this work that are grounded in rigor and data.
JBMF is an equal opportunity employer and fosters a workplace without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic.
Competitive pay and excellent benefits provided to qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements. No phone calls and no recruiters please.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:Program Officer, Education (PO)
Reports to CEO
Classification, Full-time exempt
Designs and implements the English Learner education program area for the Foundation. In partnership with the CEO, program staff, board, and others, the program officer will be a thoughtful colleague and foundation asset to ideate and refine the education portfolio of grantmaking and leadership for JBMF.
Grant-Making and Grants Management
- Provide strategic direction in the grant portfolio.
- All forms of grantmaking o Request for Proposal (RFP) development
- Technical assistance to applicants o Proposal due diligence, grant reviews and analysis
- Program evaluation and reporting o Ongoing grantee relationship management o Program data analysis
- Portfolio and grantee budget and financial reviews and monitoring o Grantee site visits
- Secure, evaluate, and manage external consultants and other third-party vendors
- Plan and execute ad hoc committee meetings, grantee or stakeholder convenings, technical assistance forums.
- Keep abreast of and communicate relevant current issues across the Central Valley, the state and nation regarding English Learner and education issues and opportunities.
- Develop, recruit, and nurture new professional relationships with other funders, subject-matter experts, and key community leaders.
- Work closely and in partnership with grantees and other partners to give visibility to the portfolio’s progress across a diverse range of venues and media - conferences, meetings, social media, other speaking or written engagements.
- Act as a critical resource to others by providing guidance, constructive feedback, and possessing high standards in program rigor and quality.
Communicate with three main audiences:
- the board and related committees and workgroups, as needed o related stakeholders, grantees, community leaders on the portfolio
- internally with staff to build alignment across initiatives
- Prepare written reports and conduct presentations on the portfolio progress, as needed and requested. Be active on JBMF and other related social media communications platforms.
Application Instructions:To apply, please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] by July 20th, 2020.
About the Organization:The James B. McClatchy Foundation
Founded by Susan and the late James B. McClatchy in 1994, the James B. McClatchy Foundation (JBMF) has a noble mission:
We stand with the people of the Central Valley by investing in education and active civic participation in our democracy.
Toward this end, the Foundation (JBMF) is organized to advance English learner students, promote First Amendment speech and expression, and the protection of a free press, and to improve life in one of the country’s most diverse, culturally rich, and economically viable regions, California’s Central Valley.
Despite these assets, the Central Valley faces many critical challenges requiring significant resources. The pressing nature of these challenges is compelling: they should be addressed sooner rather than later. In response to this reality, the Board of Directors has decided to increase its annual grantmaking, with plans to invest all JBMF’s assets in the next decade or so. This decision reflects a commitment to English Learners in our communities and to the First Amendment. As such, the Foundation is entering an exciting time in its life-cycle and is looking for dedicated and qualified people with integrity to honor this vision and join the Foundation on this journey.