Website Opening Doors Inc.
Description, Compensation and Benefits:THE ORGANIZATION: Opening Doors is a nonprofit organization that helps underserved Sacramento area residents to achieve self-sufficiency and increased assets by accessing opportunities to mainstream economic, legal and social systems. The organization assists clients through refugee resettlement and cultural orientation; case management for foreign-national survivors of human trafficking; low-cost immigration legal services; increased knowledge and skills in personal financial management; and business training, counselling and microloans. Additionally Opening Doors provides administration and leadership of the Sacramento Area Rescue and Restore Coalition to combat human trafficking. The organization has undergone a period of growth and infrastructure development during the past five years, and is well poised for future continued growth and expanded impact. With an operating budget of about $2.5 million, Opening Doors has a staff of 30+ part- and fulltime staff from diverse parts of the world.
- Position Title: Staff Attorney
- Report To: Managing Attorney
- Classification: Exempt
- Date Needed in Position: Immediately
- SUMMARY: The Immigration Legal Services (ILS) Staff Attorney provides immigration legal services including family-based immigration, naturalization, and consular processing family law to other low-income immigrants who would not otherwise be able to afford this legal assistance. This position will be mostly removal defense work with Spanish-speaking clients.
- Conducting legal screenings, client interviews, and factual and legal investigations, counseling clients, developing case strategies and case plans, and engaging in oral and written advocacy as part of representing clients in immigration matters
- Representing clients in immigration matters, including Immigration Court proceedings and applications before U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Engaging in advocacy efforts on behalf of immigrants, including conducting community presentations for children, families, schools, and community organizations
- Develop and maintain a clear understanding of immigration and other applicable law.
- Prepares legal briefs, develops strategy, arguments and testimony in preparation for presentation of case.
- Supervising legal interns.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university and a J.D. Degree. Admission to any State Bar. Possession of a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Spanish fluency is required.
- Experience in the practice of immigration law
- Experience representing clients in any court, or administrative hearing
- Demonstrated commitment to the rights of immigrants and experience working with children and families who have experienced trauma
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and in crisis situations
- Well-organized, motivated, creative, and independent, yet also able to work in a team-oriented environment
- Commitment to providing culturally competent services
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, writing, and interviewing skills
- Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Application Instructions:HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to: [email protected]. Include “Staff Attorney – [Your name]” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
- Opening Doors provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees, applicants and any third parties, for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Opening Doors complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination laws.
- Opening Doors participates in E-Verify.