Website PRO Youth & Families
Description, Compensation and Benefits:Description: Under primary direction of the Director of Programs, the SACOG Youth Leadership Academy Project Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of SACOG’s Youth Leadership Academy operations and the development of the academy participants into actively engaged young people who understand the civic engagement process and are better prepared for future leadership positions. This includes supporting the recruitment and selection process of youth; coordination with training partners, and the day-to-day support and management of the project.
What is SACOG Youth Leadership Academy?
SACOG Youth Leadership Academy is a cohort of young people from across the Sacramento region coming together to gain leadership skills, learn about the civic engagement process, and connect them with current community leaders. Students will learn about SACOG and about planning at the local and regional level specifically relating to transportation, air quality, environmental issues, and land use. Youth will serve as an ambassador to SACOG, educating community members about what SACOG does and the issues it is tackling.
Location and Work Hours:
- Work is performed at the administrative offices at 4625 44th Street, Sacramento, CA 95820 and SACOG administrative office at 1415 L St #300, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Work hours are flexible, including evening and weekend hours. Administrative offices are open 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Trainings will happen one Saturday a month, and the coordinator will flex their time accordingly with approval from their supervisor
Qualifications and Job Requirements:Responsibilities:
- Support recruitment and selection of SACOG Youth Leadership Academy participants;
- Coordinate monthly trainings for SACOG Youth Leadership Academy participants, working with training partner(s);
- Coordinate communication and updates to the with training partner(s);
- Provide ongoing support to SACOG Youth Leadership Academy participants to keep them engaged and on track with their responsibilities for the program;
- Maintain ongoing communication with SACOG Youth Leadership Academy participants between trainings and meetings;
- Create opportunities for SACOG Youth Leadership Academy participants to understand policymaking;
- Support SACOG Youth Leadership Academy participants in information gathering from other youth in their community;
- Manage project budget;
- Prepare reports and fulfill other requests for materials pertinent to the project;
- Maintain ongoing communication with SACOG staff; and
- Implement project evaluation.
- Strong understanding of youth development theory and practice with experience in youth engagement/leadership programming preferred;
- Knowledge of implementation of teen-focused programs;
- Experience with government and policymaking process;
- Ability to provide strong facilitation to groups of teens;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
- Bilingual abilities preferred, but not required;
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with SACOG board member, staff and others; and
- Computer applications including spreadsheet, database, word processing, and presentation software.
- Requires sufficient arm, hand, finger dexterity in order to operate a keyboard, typewriter, and other office equipment.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Requires normal hearing and speaking skills to communicate with staff and public.
- Requires visual activity to read numbers and words.
- Ability to stand or sit for at least 60 minutes in duration.
- Valid California driver’s license
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Criminal Justice background check