Website CalAsian Chamber of Commerce
Description, Compensation and Benefits:JOB TITLE: Project Director
DEPARTMENT: Domestic Programs- Southwest Region SBTRC
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Global & Domestic Programs
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $65k - $75k
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Southwest Region Small Business Transportation Resource Center (SBTRC) Project Director oversees the strategic direction and implementation of the Southwest Region Small Business Transportation Resource Center (SBTRC). The Project Director designs strategic plans and services for the small business community and ensures the execution of program goals and deliverables for the Southwest Region SBTRC grant. The SW Region SBTRC is operated by the California Asian Chamber of Commerce (CalAsian) and is located in Sacramento, CA. The Center works closely with other federal and state programs operated by CalAsian to assist small and disadvantaged business in getting transportation-related contracts and subcontracts by developing support mechanisms, including management and technical services, that will enable small and disadvantaged businesses to take advantage of those business opportunities.
The position provides leadership and oversight for program activities and initiatives designed to attract new MBE and DBE businesses and to support existing businesses that are classified as economically and socially disadvantaged. S/he will also work closely with partner organizations and subject matter experts to plan and execute events, webinars, and business development opportunities to serve potential and existing businesses. The Project Director will manage one other project staff to ensure all project activities under the Southwest SBTRC are implemented effectively and efficiently, and all goals are successfully met.
- Project Management and Reporting
- Create business development and matchmaking opportunities for clients and customers.
- Provide oversight for the design, development and quality of the Center’s outreach, marketing, and communication for all program activities and events.
- Manage the relationship with the marketing and communications department, and external vendors as needed to produce marketing collateral and promotional efforts (tasks include development and delivery of marketing materials)
- Work closely with partner organizations to co-host events, webinars and related activities designed to assist MBEs and DBEs to access resources, tools, and technical expertise to access contracts and procurement opportunities
- Assist with developing impact reports to support the quality and delivery of grant objectives
- Oversee the quality and relevance of content for the Center’s website and social media platforms.
- Develop and cultivate robust partnerships with public and private organizations, corporate partners and small businesses to advance the reach and impact of SBTRC priorities.
- Lead the engagement and coordination with government, non-profit and private stakeholders to promote domestic business, contracts and procurement opportunities for MBEs and DBEs.
- Communicate opportunities, initiatives, and events with all existing and prospective partners in the public, private and corporate sectors.
- Develop a system and process for managing business client leads and strengthen existing mechanisms to better engage existing business clients
- Partner and coordinate with other CalAsian programs to synchronize areas where centers and programs overlap in its services to support the small business community (i.e. MBDA Export Center, City of Sacramento CARES Business Center, TAEP)
- Design efficient process and systems for managing client services by connecting them to appropriate resources, technical assistance (certification, bonding, contracting), and subject matter experts to support the needs and goals of business owners
- Develop relationships and partnerships with consultants, subject matter experts, and chamber partners to identify solutions and technical assistance to help clients succeed
- Represent and communicate the mission and program goals of the Southwest Region SBTRC to internal and external stakeholders and how SBTRC works closely with CalAsian to advance the economic development goals to support disadvantaged and minority businesses
- Develop and manage all program updates and grant reports to Southwest Region SBTRC stakeholders, SBTRC/U.S. DOT, and CalAsian leadership
- Participate in all SBTRC/U.S. DOT monthly meetings and engagements as lead representative for the Southwest SBTRC
- In Coordination with the VP for Global and Domestic Programs, recruit, train and supervise staff and interns to support the SBTRC program as needed
- Manage, train and supervise all staff who supports the Southwest SBTRC
- Coordinate with other department leads at CalAsian to ensure the Center works in compliance with both SBTRC/U.S. DOT and CalAsian guidelines and expectations
Qualifications and Job Requirements:REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
University degree in business development, marketing, business management or international trade, and MBA preferred.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong understanding of small businesses, U.S. government grants and contracts, U.S. government reporting and planning process
- Excellent planning, project management and personnel management skills
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, creative, and able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Ability to engage senior leaders and small business community members
- Collaborative and strategic in partnering with other teams and departments to achieve program goals
- A minimum of 5 years of work-related experience in business development, project management, and implementation of activities in domestic programs, international trade or economic development sector or a nonprofit organization
- Excellent project management experience with attention to detail
- Adept with identifying new business opportunities to serve clients
- Experience with designing data collection tools and research methods to develop impact reports highly desired
- Proven experience in leading a program and team towards achieving results under pressure
- Demonstrated experience in building collaborative relationships and unity within an organization to ensure program operations excel
- Proficiency in Windows-based software and willingness to learn CRM software