Website United Way California Capital Region
Description, Compensation and Benefits:The Director of Finance oversees United Way California Capital Region’s (UWCCR) Finance Department and serves as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team. They are responsible for managing all fiscal functions of the organization including preparation of the annual budget, conducting financial analysis, and preparing financial reports. In managing the Finance Department, the Director supervises 2 staff positions- a Finance Manager and an Accountant and also staffs the Board of Directors’ finance and audit committees. They also oversee UWCCR’s management services agreement with the Sacramento Foundation, a UWCCR supporting organization. This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the President/CEO.
- Administer and review all financial activity, monitor progress and changes, and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status making recommendations as needed
- Prepare and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for nonprofits
- Oversee and guide UWCCR’s annual budgeting and planning process
- Liaise with Treasurer, Finance Committee and Board of Directors
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process; liaise with the Audit Committee and external auditors, ensuring all audit issues are resolved and compliance issues are met
- Manage organizational cash flow and financial forecasting
- Oversee all financial, project/program accounting for grants and funding and ensure fiscal compliance with all regulations and timely, accurate reporting
- Assist Program Managers with the preparation of budgets for grant applications
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Manage accounting and financial systems and maintain full and accurate accounting records
- Prepare annual tax return(s) in a timely manner
- Supervise two Finance Department staff
- Be knowledgeable of United Way activities and functions in order to respond to volunteers, donors and team members
- Participate in department and organization team meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Job Requirements:The ideal candidate will be a skilled finance professional who is passionate about the mission and work of UWCCR. In addition, they will possess the following experience, skills and personal attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or closely related field; CPA highly desirable 7+ years of financial management experience
- Experience with grants administration and/or compliance (philanthropic, government/federal)
- Experience working with nonprofits and their volunteer boards of directors including staffing board committees
- Enthusiastically committed to the mission of UWCCR as well as equity and social justice
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and skilled in the use of QuickBooks; able to quickly grasp training to be provided on United Way’s proprietary software platform
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate in a variety of settings with diverse stakeholders
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving capabilities
- Able to react, organize and prioritize within a high pressure, fast paced environment
- Adept in working independently with a high attention to detail
- Consistently demonstrates the highest levels of integrity
- Project a polished, professional manner in dealings with staff, board, vendors and other stakeholders
- High emotional intelligence with the ability to be diplomatic, tactful, and patient in guiding and managing diverse stakeholders
- All positions at UWCCR are required to serve as ambassadors for our work.
- Valid California driver’s license, proof of insurance, and good driving record.
- This position is full-time, exempt with some evening/weekend/after-hours work.
Application Instructions:Please submit resume and letter of interest to Andrea Weiss, Search Consultant, [email protected]. Applicant screening will be ongoing until the position is filled as the goal is to complete the recruitment process at the earliest opportunity and welcome a new team member as soon as possible.
About the Organization:Founded in 1923, UWCCR serves Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, El Dorado, and Amador counties. Of its over $10M in annual revenue, approximately 70% is donor-designated to other nonprofit organizations. The remaining 30% are funds raised from corporations, foundations and government grants and contracts, special events, and fees, both designated to UWCCR programs and undesignated as general operating support.
In 2016, the organization launched the Square One Project, a 20+ year commitment to ending poverty-starting at school- by increasing the number of students who graduate from high school, college or career ready. This collective impact model has both a place-based and a regional approach to working with low income children and their families to address poverty.
UWCCR is part of the United Way global network of over 1,400 organizations in 40 countries and territories, serving over 60 million people. Licensed by United Ways of America, UWCCR has its own tax-exempt status, is governed by a local 27-member board and has a staff of 36 employees.