Website 350 Sacramento
Description, Compensation and Benefits:Local Action for a Global Movement
350 Sacramento is a local grassroots organization committed to equitable solutions that accelerate the transition to a sustainable future, with atmospheric carbon dioxide levels below 350 ppm.
Position Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: Board of Directors, collaborates with Program Coordinator
Compensation: this is a volunteer position, expecting a minimum of 10 hours per month of time commitment.
350 Sacramento is seeking a skilled Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, support, and organize our growing base of volunteers. The ideal candidate has a proven commitment to climate action and environmental justice, is an independent self-starter who is trustworthy and highly detail oriented. (S)he needs to be able to work well with people of diverse backgrounds, have a solid work ethic and high integrity, as well as the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations. Must possess exceptional organizational skills, be flexible to changing circumstances, and have the ability to maintain balance in a fast-paced working environment.
Volunteer recruitment, orientation, and engagement
- Coordinate the volunteer program, working closely with other staff and team leads to engage, empower, and support volunteers according to their skills and interests
- Develop and implement training and leadership development programs for volunteers, in collaboration with other staff and team leads.
- Identify and develop new volunteer opportunities as needed to support 350 Sacramento campaigns and functions. Promote volunteer opportunities both internally and externally.
- Provide general coaching and support for volunteers; conduct orientations, connect them with teams or projects, be available for calls or meetings to support volunteers and answer questions, and assist them in moving up the Ladder of Engagement.
- Conduct volunteer program evaluation and implement improvements
- Ensure that all volunteers and volunteer activities are tracked in database, and make process improvements as needed
- Oversee and support interns in communications and community organizing roles
- Assist in organizing mass actions or events, when appropriate
- Assist with rapid response to emerging situations, as necessary
- Assist with fundraising and reporting related to volunteer organizing
- Demonstrated interest, understanding, and commitment to climate action and environmental justice
- 2+ years of experience engaging and empowering volunteers
- Detail oriented, with strong organization and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including the ability to quickly learn new software and technology
- Resourceful, flexible, and self-motivated
- Experience working with culturally diverse groups / communities
- Grassroots organizing and Campaign management skills and experience
- Familiarity with communities and organizations in Sacramento; ability to network and collaborate with diverse organizations
- Experience utilizing and/or managing volunteer databases
- Ability to speak Spanish, or other language commonly spoken in Sacramento
- Experience organizing direct actions